Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Honoring the Granite Mountain Hotshots?

July 15, 2013 - Prescott National Forest Office - US Flag at full mast

Governor Brewer declared that all state flags (which includes the United States flag) in Arizona are to be flown at half mast from July 1 through July 19, 2013; nineteen days - one day for each of the fallen firefighters who offered the ultimate sacrifice on June 30, 2013 while attempting to save lives and property during the Yarnell Hill Fire.  The photo above was taken on July 15th about 4:10pm. 

I walked into their office just after taking this photo...  I asked them why the flag was at full mast and they looked at me puzzled and asked why I was asking.  I informed them that Governor Brewer declared all state flags (the US Flag IS a state flag, representing ALL states!) were to be flown at half mast from July 1 through July 19th.  I was told, "We haven't received anything from the Governor's office, if we do, we'll lower the flag again."  I was a bit in disbelief that they had not heard of the decree, but I went home and found the press release from Governor Brewer's office and emailed it to them.  The next day (today) I received from them:
Hello Scott appreciate your email.

Since we are Federal Agency this is our policy.
The Secretary of Agriculture has directed that U.S. Flags be flown at half-staff sunrise 3 July 2013 thru sunset 9 July 2013 in honor of the 19 firefighters killed in the line of duty in Yarnell Hill, Arizona. 
DR 5160 (excerpt)
I have written to several of our state and national congressmen and senators asking them to urge the Prescott National Forest Office to show some compassion and amend their policy.

Another thought just occurred to me... the Secretary of Agriculture stated the NATIONAL policy, what happens in ARIZONA is a STATE policy dictated by the GOVERNOR of ARIZONA!  In the opinion of this blogger, Governor Brewer's decree overrides the Secretary of Agriculture's statement for government buildings IN Arizona.

Thoughts?  Will you join me in urging the Prescott National Forest Office to honor the Governor of Arizona's request?

 

No comments:

Did the Biden Administration cut the debt by 1.7 trillion dollars?

Um, no! Facts: On Jan. 20, 2021, the day Biden was inaugurated, the debt was $27,751,896,236,414.70, according to the official numbers poste...